for 2 servings
- 4 chicken breasts
- cajun spice, to taste, extra for seasoning chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup rice (225 g)
- 15 oz chopped tomato, 1 can (425 g)
- 1 ¾ cups chicken stock(400 mL)
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and then the cajun spice mix (store-bought or homemade)
- Sear the chicken breasts on each side for about 2 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Add some more oil and fry the onions and peppers until softened.
- Add the black beans and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the rice and fry for a further minute.
- Place the chicken back on and cover in chopped tomatoes.
- Add chicken stock and more cajun spice (to taste).
- Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 25 minutes.