Not only are these chicken and cheese enchiladas incredibly delicious, they are very filling and satisfying. Plus, they are smothered in a tangy sour cream and chile sauce that adds extra creaminess to this low calorie comfort food.
- 8oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 4 oz can green chiles
- 1 tbsp whole wheat, all purpose flour
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Zest from 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9” x 13” casserole pan with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, zucchini, onion, 1/2 cup of the fat free sour cream, ½ cup shredded cheese, cumin, lime zest, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- One at a time, roll up the chicken mixture into each tortilla and then place in the casserole dish.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in chiles and remainder of the sour cream, and heat until well combined and heated through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour sour cream sauce over enchiladas, and then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes or until casserole is cooked through and cheese begins to brown and bubble.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro, green onions and diced jalapenos.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 enchilada
PER SERVING: 230 calories; 9g fat; 27g carbohydrates; 21g protein; 12g fiber